OT - Documenting systems

Hi

By stealth, I seem to be developing a sysadmin personality, what with the
expanding network here and increasingly getting involved in networking
on behalf of clients.  I've tried various approaches to recording
details of individual components and the network but keeping them up to
date is difficult.

Google mainly threw up people's cv's describing their strengths in
documenting systems or commercial tools.

Can anyone offer any guidance in terms of sources of information or
debian tools to document networked systems.

TIA

Clive

--
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk