Re: Howto remove grub?

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, David Z Maze wrote:

> "W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I have a machine where I want to cleanly install Debian, but the
> > MBR has remains of grub.  I searched the net, but all hits I got
> > involved a DOS diskette or similar.  I don't have such a disk,
> > but I can boot the machine using Knoppix or other Debian rescue
> > CDs.  What is the magic command line?  Thanks in advance!

removing stuff from MBR implies you might not be able to boot the
machine, so make sure you can still boot from floppy or cdrom or network
or ???  ( remove that target disk out of the boot sequence in the bios,
than remove stuff from the mbr )

root# grub
grub> uninstall   ( i think it works donno )

-- or --

root# lilo -U

-- or --

#
# important ... dont make any tipoe's w/ dd
#
root# dd if=/dev/zero  of=/dev/hda  bs=512 count=1

-- or --

boot into dos mode
A:> fdisk /mbr

than boot up from floppy or other boot media and
re-install whatver boot loader ( grub, lilo, syslinux, .. ) you want

c ya
alvin