Slow telnet login on LAN

Can someone explain to me why this happens:

I have a two system LAN connected by a 4 port 10/100 switch. One box is used exclusively as an Internet gateway. I have a dialup connection and the connection is managed through this box (call it Box-1). Since this is a dialup connection, it does NOT go through the switch. It goes out through a 56K modem. I use my other, faster, computer (Box-2) for all of my day to day work. If I telnet from Box-2 to Box-1 when Box-1 is NOT connected to the Net, then I get my login prompt immediately. If Box-1 is connected to the Net, however, and I try to telnet to it, I get the connected message, and the "Escape character is '^].'" message immediately, but there is a delay of over 10 seconds before my login prompt is displayed.

Why is this?

Marc Shapiro

Is your computer infected with a virus? Find out with a FREE computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now! http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963