Re: Configure 2 nics

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 02:39:18PM -0200, frankcl@ig.com.br wrote:

| I`m trying to configure two network interfaces in Woody in order to
| do NAT between them. Both have their modules correctly installed and
| I want to use eth0 in DHCP and eth1 with static ip from another
| subnetwork.
|    The problem is that I can only activate one of them at a time (eth0 or
| eth1), but not both at the same time. When I modify the archive
| /etc/network/interfaces and put at the end of it:
|      iface eth1 inet static
|        address 192.168.1.1
|        netmask 255.255.255.0
|        network 192.168.1.0
|        broadcast 192.168.1.255
|    The eth1 works but not eth0 anymore. Using the package etherconf,

That's your problem.  Don't use etherconf.

$ apt-cache show etherconf
    Package: etherconf
    Version: 1.10
     This package provides a debconf-based interface to configuring the
     Ethernet on your system.  Currently, it will only configure one Ethernet
     device, but more support is planned in the future.

The key in the description is:
    **Currently, it will only configure one Ethernet device,**

It appears that the new version (in sarge and sid) doesn't have that
limitation.

    Package: etherconf
    Version: 1.14-0.3
     Etherconf is a debconf-based interface for configuring Ethernet devices on
     your system.  It supports both manual and DHCP-based configurations.

| How to make the modification be forever in a way such that both
| interfaces can work?

Edit /etc/network/interfaces as you already know how :
    auto eth0
    interface eth0 inet dhcp

    auto eth1
    interface eth1 inet static

Then run 'ifup eth1' and 'ifup eth0'.

BTW, you don't need to specify the network and broadcast addresses for
eth1, but you do need to specify the gateway, if there is one.  The
network and broadcast addresses can be computed from the interface's
address and the netmask.  Specifying them correctly is not wrong,
though.

-D

--
Yes, Java is so bulletproofed that to a C programmer it feels like being in a
straightjacket, but it's a really comfy and warm straightjacket, and the world