Re: Can't install networking.

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 at 03:26 GMT, Mark Healey penned:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:08:05 -0900, Ken Irving wrote:

>>> The Broadcom 4400 is hardly rare.
>>
>>I haven't been following this saga, but googling for Broadcom 4400
>>seems to suggest that the support for this chipset might be a very
>>recent thing.  Perhaps you could get another network card for which
>>drivers do exist, get the system running, and then resume your effort
>>to get the Broadcom working.
>>
>>It is reasonable to expect some difficulties in building a system with
>>barely supported hardware, however non-rare it might be.
>
> I thought of that but it is a dual boot setup (controled with a
> physical switch) and I would have to reconfigure the other OS.

What's the other OS?  When I threw in an external card to bootstrap
linux on my dual-boot box, win2k was happy as a clam to use two ethernet
cards while they were available.

> The broadcom is also on the mobo which means extra hassle.

It's 99.9% likely that you can disable the broadcom in your BIOS.
There's no reason you should have to -- linux will ignore the network
card unless it has a module for it, and windows will keep on using it --
but if you want to, the capability should be there.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.