Adding scsi devices ???

A remote colleague has a debian system that has been running fine with
stock kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686; but, until now, *not* running any SCSI
devices.

Last night, he added a SCSI cdrom and tape drive to the system.  He
insists that the AIC-7980 controller lists the devices during post.

dmesg does *not* show the controller; nor does scsi_devfs_scan.

I have a system with similar scsi devices; but, different kernel:

   # cat /proc/modules | grep -i scsi
   ide-scsi               10480   0
   ide-mod                98808   1 [ide-cd ide-probe-mod ide-scsi]
   scsi_mod               94848   4 (autoclean) [st ide-scsi sd_mod aic7xxx]

His shows this:

   # cat /proc/modules | grep -i scsi
   scsi_mod               84952   1 (autoclean) [sr_mod]

Neither system has any aic7xxx listed in:

   /etc/modules
   /etc/modules.conf

I have built systems with scsi support from ground zero; but, I have not
added scsi to a non-scsi system.

What are we missing?

--
Best Regards,