Re: Can't install networking.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 05:11:35PM -0800, Mark Healey wrote:
> When installing there was no networing setup.
>
> The first install attempt I assumed that support was in the kernel
> since it wasn't on the list of non-supported nics in the installation
> manual.  That didn't work.
>
> On the second attempt I tried the add modules option and it wasn't
> listed.
>
> I tried google and all I got were similiar horror stories.
>
> How do I get this to work?

You have to install nVidia's drivers for nForce2 chipset.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261.html

To get networking to work, you specifically need to compile and load
nvnet.o module

Before compiling nForce drivers, install kernel-headers package and
link it to "linux-2.4.x". If you compiled your own kernel, link
/usr/src/linux to "linux-2.4.x". (This assumes you are using a 2.4.x
kernel.)

nVidia make scripts link to the running kernel.
Assuming you download nVidia nForce drivers to /usr/src and
vmlinuz-2.4.20-3-k7 is the running kernel:

# cd /usr/src
# ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.20-3-k7 linux-2.4.20  #stock kernel
   OR
# ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20   #for custom compiled kernel
# tar -xzvf NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.
# cd nforce
# make
# make install

set up your /etc/hosts
set up your /etc/network/interfaces

# modprobe nvnet
# /etc/init.d/networking stop
# /etc/init.d/detworking start

For more complete info on how to get your mobo to work, see:
http://attila.stevens-tech.edu/~dkopko/a7n8x.txt
http://home.t-online.de/home/Johannes.Deisenhofer/nforce2linux.html