Re: du and df problem... Please help!

lorian@fsavigny.de wrote:
I'm afraid I can't help you directly, and with my system, df and du
behave more like you would expect. The ideas I did have seemed a bit
too straightforward to myself. Anyway, allow me to ask one or two
questions to get it clearer:

  > When I run du on each root directory (ie. /boot, /dev, etc), I
  > totaled up the sizes given for each directory, the total OS size
  > is reported as being around 22mb.

Have you also tried running it on / ("du -s /")?

> If I run the df command, I get a total OS size of 55mb.
Hmm. Maybe it uses a block size of 512 Bytes instead of 1024 (see the
manpage)? Although 55 instead of 44 is still a considerable
deviation ...

  > I have no mounts to anything (my mtab file only contains /dev/hda3
  > (which is my root partition) and the proc fs).

Have you also checked this by saying "mount" without any arguments?

Come to think of it, I suggest you post the output of "du -s /", the
output of "df", and the output of "mount" (together with the exact
commandline you used) - that way it's easier to see how you have
calculated your figures.

Florian

Check my reply to his original message:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200310/msg06932.html

Basically, he probably has an ext3 filesystem.  ext3 uses 32 MB for the
journal.  Of course the space used by the journal shows up as used in
df, but du actually counts up space used by individual files, of which
the journal is not a part.

32 MB journal + 22 MB files = 54 MB total disk space used (which is
very close to the 55 MB he got)

-Roberto