Re: [SOLVED] exim4 opening to many threads

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benedict Verheyen" <linux4bene@pandora.be>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 1:26 AM
Subject: exim4 opening to many threads

> Hi,
>
> i have exim4 running and today the people from the cable company
> came over and installed a cable phone. For the installation they shut
> down the moment for an hour and forgot to plug in the network
> cable into the moment. When i came home, i saw that my connection
> was gone, plugged the cable back in and my server started to fetch
> mail. Since it had been a couple of hours since the mail was fetched,
> a lot of mail came in. My server started over 50 exim4's and the
server
> chokes on it since there are only a couple of amavis and spamd threads
> running.
> How can i limit the number of threads that exim opens at a time?
> Ideal would be for example if you could specify to only have 10
> running exim threads at a time so the system doesn't choke when
> receiving lots of mail.
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Benedict

I added a few options and they seem to work well:

smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 10
smtp_accept_max = 6
smtp_accept_queue = 5
queue_only_load = 20
deliver_queue_load_max = 40

Adjusting the 20 / 40 seems to have the most impact.
Now the server is usable even if it's collecting a huge number
of mails because of downtime. Now the exim processes don't
starve other processes like amavisd and spamd of resources.

Regards,
Benedict