Re: Outgoing SMTP ports

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 09:19:30AM -0600, James W. Thompson, II wrote:
| I figured out the problem.
|
| My firewall was applying the same rules to my eth0 and lo interfaces,
| so I set the first rule in my inbound and outbound sets to allow any
| traffice on lo...
|
| Is there any security risk posed by this? Should I be security concious
| about have no restricitions on the loopback interface?

The loopback interface is for your machine only.  No outside system
can access that interface.  I always allow anything on the loopback.

| On Oct 29, 2003, at 7:35 AM, James W. Thompson, II wrote:
|
| >My problem seems to persist, let me delve more into it and see if
| >y'all can help.

| >Is there some other rule that I need to set because outgoing mail is
| >just not going, I have my 3 nameservers setup in /etc/resolve.conf and
| >can dig all the domains which mail should be going to so DNS doesn't
| >seem to be the problem. Any suggestions?

Look in the logs.  It is impossible to debug a problem without first
knowing what the problem is.  The software will report, in the logs,
why it can't deliver the mail.

-D

--
If we claim we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar and His
Word has no place in our lives.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/