Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:28:12 -0600
Ron Jr <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 17:10, David Palmer. wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:37:49 +0100
> > Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On Tuesday 28 October 2003 20:30, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > [...]
> [snip]
> > > --
> > > richard
> > >
> > Sylpheed has 'reply to >  all
> >                           sender
>
> As do Evolution and mutt.  Do pine, elm & MozMail?

Just my perception of it:-
It's unnecessary. If someone is already subscribed to a list, obviously
they are going to receive the post. To cc as well, to the same
recipient, is not only pointless, it can be invasive.

Not long ago someone cc'd me on an off-topic thread, and in that
situation it's not only understandable, it's constructive. I should have
accepted the invitation to take the conversation off-list where it would
have been less distracting. I know Colin Watson would have appreciated
it. I can think of no other situation where it is warranted.

If this situation is not brought about by incorrect heading, then one
has to wonder why some people feel a requirement to do it? Is there a
reason? Are there any advocates of this behaviour pattern that would
care to enlighten us?
Regards,

David.