Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

Bill Moseley wrote:
I cc, but luckily my mailer mutt understands what you want.  That's good
because I can't keep track of what the hundreds (thousands?) of people on this
list wish, and not all of them have smart mailers to set the
Mail-Followup-To header.

You don't have to, the onus is on them to ask, explicitly, in the body of the message that they want a CC. If they don't ask and you don't send that is their problem. But sending a CC unasked you're causing unasked work for the person on the other end. Generally when one does that it is considered rude.

Is it the cc you don't like or the duplicate mail?  I like the cc's but
I hate the duplicates.  And (also luckily) I run Debian and with a
simple additions to my .procmailrc I no longer have the duplicates:

For me it is the CC. I get a reply from them and I presume they ment to send it off list. I then reply. Then I see the reply on list and realize my reply should have been on list. However since their reply off-list don't contain the list headers my client (well, not this one, but Sylpheed-Claws and Mutt, both of which I've used in the past week) replies directly to them and not the list. If I am lucky enough to read the list mail first (unlikely for a variety of reasons) then it goes to the right place.