Re: Mutt displays mail twice... :-s

* Monique Y. Herman (spam@bounceswoosh.org) [031027 20:50]:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 at 00:26 GMT, Tom penned:
> [snip]
> >
> > ...which seems to suggest
> >
> > * not only that a .procmailrc makes a .forward useless when that
> > .forward is only meant to roll on procmail * but *also* that it's the
> > cause of the duplicate mails, since the .procmailrc puts mail in it's
> > place, and the .forward delivers mail to procmail a *second* time!
> >
> > I'll delete my .forward and see what happens...
>
> Well, I've had a .forward calling procmail in addition to apparently
> calling procmail through exim for a month or two, and I don't have dupes

Both won't happen.  Whichever director exim finds first will handle the
mail.  IIRC, the default exim3 conf file has userforward before
procmail, so your mail was in fact being delivered to procmail through
the .forward file.

One way to test what's happening is to use exim's address testing mode:

/usr/sbin/exim -bt my@email.address

Where your local user account username should probably work just as
well, being treated as a local unqualified address.  Run like this, exim
should tell you which director would handle messages for this user.  You
should find that if a ~/.procmailrc exists with no .forward, it will be
dlievered to procmail.  If a .forward exists, the userforward director
will handle the message before exim ever gets to checking for a
.procmailrc file.

good times,
Vineet
--