Re: Auth problem connecting to my ftp server

Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> 220 litshi.luna.local FTP server (Version 6.4/OpenBSD/Linux-ftpd-0.17)
> ready.
> 500 'AUTH GSSAPI': command not understood.
> 500 'AUTH KERBEROS_V4': command not understood.
> KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
>
> What does it meen, should I be worried and how do I stop it?

It means your default 'ftp' is the ftp program from the Kerberos
distribution, possibly from the krb5-clients.  If you're not using
Kerberos (unless you're doing something strange on your local network,
you're almost certainly not; Kerberos can be pretty unhappy around
NATs, too) you could just uninstall the offending ftp.  "If you were
using Kerberos, you'd probably know."  Otherwise, the message is
harmless.

If you did want to have a Kerberized ftp around but not use it most of
the time, you could also change the 'ftp' alternative to point to
something else.  On my system (sid), ftp is an alternative link which
could point to either netkit-ftp or krb5-ftp.

	-- Abra Mitchell