Re: Fonts in gtk programs (mozilla, evolution etc)

> I'm using mozilla for browsing, and evolution for mailing and some other
> gtk programs. I have a high resolution laptop lcd and so I need large
> font sizes to read without my eyes getting tired. As far as I
> understand, I have to change the font settings in the gnome control
> center: As soon as I set all fonts to 14pt there, everything is fine, at
> least as long as I use gnome. But I don't like gnome as a desktop
> environment (I use plain IceWM), and without starting gnome-session or
> gnome-control-center, the fonts in gtk apps stay small (I don't know
> what the default size is, must be 10 or so). So long story short
> question: How do I make the font size change permanent WITHOUT
> gnome-session? This is also of interest for the gdm login screen...

to load all your gnome settings, you should use gnome-settings-daemon.
I have recently built an internet kiosk running galeon, using a custom gdm
session (and deleting all others)

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/gdm/Sessions/Kiosk
gnome-settings-daemon &
galeon -f &
exec /etc/X11/Xsession /usr/bin/icewm-gnome
# EOF

your gdm login screen has nothing to do with your user's settings, so just
use the graphical greeter and write your own theme :-)

greetings,

--
Joris

PS: is there anybody interested in a mini-howto? the kiosk is pretty
secure with icewm restricting many window operations and no xterm on the
box, and extremely robust mounting everything read-only and using tmpfs
(auto-resizing ramdisk) for /tmp /var and /home