Re: Simple little basic config questions

Haines Brown(brownh@hartford-hwp.com) is reported to have said:
> > Do you have
> >
> > source .bashrc
> >
> > As the last line of your .bash_profile? That might help.
>
> No, the default (debian3.0r.1) is to comment that in .bash_profile:
>
>   # if [ -f ~/.bashrc]; then
>   #   source ~./bashrc
>   # fi
>
> I don't see why this is commented, for it seems to disable
> ~/.bashrc. Is that so? If so, why it it disabled by default?

I haven't done a fresh Debian install in many years so don't remember
if I ever saw that in my original install.  It does disable sourceing
.bashrc and I don't know why it is disabled by default.  :-(

Maybe 'man bash' and a search on .bashrc would help.

> > Note, just in case you didn't know this.  After making changes to
> > these files it is not necessary to exit and relogin. Just enter .
> > .bash_profile
>
> I don't understand. "Enter" what into ~/.bash_profile? What does
> your elipsis here refer to?

enter it at the prompt, ie

VT5 wtopa-Buddy:~$. .bash_profile
or
VT5 wtopa-Buddy:~$source .bash_profile

will re-read .bash_profile and, if you added source .bashrc to
.bash_profile, the .bashrc as well. Same as if you had exited and
logged in again.

> > Oh, welcome to Debian.  You won't be sorry you switched from RH!!
>
> I don't know if this comment is accurate, but RedHat seemed to be
> moving toward a more integrated desktop, which a) caused unexpected
> problems b) that are harder to resolve.

As I have not run RH for a looong time, I am not 'up' on what is does
currently.  I do remember that upgrading was a real pain, a pain I
have not felt since moving to Debian.  :-)

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit...