Re: Simple little basic config questions

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 19:57, Haines Brown wrote:
> In moving from RedHat to debian, I'm left with some simple little
> basic configuration questions. They all relate to a situation in which
> I operate at this point from console.
>
> 1. Where do I set the global bash prompt format? I changed PS1= in
>    /etc/profile, but that only affects user, not root.
>
> 2. I had placed the command "setterm -blank 0" in RedHat's
>    /etc/rc.d/rc.local to block screen blanking while running in
>    console. Debian does not use that file. What is its equivalent?
>
> 3. My usual practice is to avoid xdm and boot to a text login
>    prompt. To do this, in rc2.d I belive I edited the symlink to the
>    xdm program, renaming "S99xdm ->..." to "K99xdm ->...". But in
>    debian I get a beep when I try. Am I imagining I once edited the
>    name of a symlink? Can't one do it in debian?

That's almost exactly what I did:
# cd /etc/rc2.d
# mv S99xdm __S99xdm

You get a beep when you try to rename the file?  If so, are you
sure the file /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm exists?

Of course, you could always deinstall xdm :
# apt-get --purge remove xdm

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I tried to
ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage the plane."
RICHARD REID, tried to blow up American Airlines Flight 63