Re: classic deficiancy in both windows and linux ?

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:44:40PM -0400, Daniel B. wrote:
| Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

| > | - You won't get the same data displayed by the graphical interface
| > |   (which you'd [expect] it to print if it supported printing).
| >
| > Maybe, maybe not.  What data is this, exactly?
|
| Whatever the graphical interface is currently set to display.  (That
| is, it can vary.)

Unless you provide a concrete example, then I maintain that using 'ls'
and/or 'stat' will give you the same information.

| >  You won't,
| > however, get the same graphical icon that you (probably) see next to
| > the file in nautilus or konqueror..
|
| But maybe the user should be able to.

Perhaps.  I'm not arguing this point.  I only mentioned it as one
drawback to using just 'ls' and/or 'stat' to print the information.

| > | If or when one wants to use a command line, that's fine, but when
| > | one it using a graphic interface, it should still support printing
| > | directory listings.
| >
| > Here's a tip:  "linux" is a kernel.  On top of that kernel are very
| > many applications.
|
| What that have to do with anything?

Nothing, when taken alone like this.  It is the lead-in for directing
wishlist bug report to the appropriate developers rather than taking
it up with Linus Torvalds :-).

| > Two such applications are Nautilus and Konqueror.
| > Are you using either one of those?
|
| No.  I don't use a graphical shell.

Then you personally don't have a problem right now :-).  I deleted the
beginning of the thread a while back and simply responded to something
that looked like it could be helpful/worthwhile to respond to.

| > In the meantime, make a script to do what you want.
|
| I'm not the one who uses a graphical shell and wants to print
| a directory folder.  I'm just agreeing with the original complainant
| that graphical shells should support that feature.

I'm not saying those tools shouldn't have this feature, but the first
step towards making a "satisfied customer" is to solve the problem
now.  That's why I was directing those who care to send the feature
request to the proper developers and also suggesting some methods of
approximating the goal without waiting for a new release of the
graphical shell.

-D

PS: I don't see a real problem or meaningful discussion in this thread
anymore (you and I are in agreement at least) so I probably won't add
any more to it.

--
If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you
probably have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/