Re: PLIP networking -- sort of working

on Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 03:43:35AM -0700, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> Continuing my masochistic tendencies, I've got PLIP networking running
> to an IBM 486 thinkpad with an IRQless perallel port.  The trick, it
> appears, is using plipconfig to increase the nibble and trigger wait
> times.  Until now, I've had problems with constant network timeouts,
> e.g.:
>
>    Oct 24 03:23:57 localhost kernel: plip0: transmit timeout(1,8f)
>
> (from /var/log/messages on "near" side).
>
> With my latest trial, I've actually had just over 12 minutes' pass with
> now timeouts, which is pretty remarkable.  OK, so they've been
> low-traffic minutes....
>
> Ordinarially, I'd be getting repeated timeouts, with ping times ranging
> from 5-6ms to thousands of ms with many dropped pings, particularly when
> attempting involved connections such as ssh'ing into the box.  These are
> now far reduced, and networking is overall useable.  I'm posting this
> because I've found a number of posts from folks who've had PLIP setup
> problems, but nothing indicating resolution.
>
> This Works For Me[tm]:

Followup after ~24 hours.

It's definitely not perfect, but it works.  With some network load (ssh,
telnet, and ftp sessions running concurrently) there are some timeouts
in the <1 second to 10 second range, but the link is overall useable.

My method in setting the nibble/trigger intervals is simply to double
the current value (starting from defaults) until acceptable performance
is attained.  That's rough, but as stated, works.

And, all said, if PLIP's the only link you can get with a box, it's nice
to have.

Peace.

    Go through his clothes and look for loose change.
    - Princess Bride