Re: NFS has a file size overflow problem

In article <[🔎] 1066792070.5212.29.camel@gandalf.attbi.com>,
Neal Lippman  <nl@lippman.org> wrote:
>So: presumably NFS is known to use 32 bit file sizes, but ls understands
>a 64 bit file size? I also note that the fstat, stat etc system calls
>return the file size as an off_t, which in the i86 header files for
>2.4.22 is a long - which should be 32 bits on x86- so how does ls -l get
>the correct >32bit file size?

Use 2.4 kernels on the client and server, use the kernel NFS server
rather than the user-level one, and mount the filesystems on the
client with the "nfsvers=3" option and you will have 64 bit support
on NFS.

You'll also have better performance and working fcntl() locking over NFS
as a bonus.

Mike.
--
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself.