Re: Using apt-get/dselect to download from a un-official repository.

Nick Hastings wrote:

Hi,

* Joseph Jones <joe@bumpycarrot.cjb.net> [031022 10:31]:
I'd like to download xfree86 4.3.0 from this repository: http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/

I found it whilst Googling round for 4.3.0 for Debian, it was mentioned in a mailing list archive. Could anyone tell me how I would go about installing from this repository (so I can play UT2003 and Quake3 fullscreen (long story, stupid graphics card)).

Looks like you need to add
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/ i386/

to you /etc/apt/sources.list
then do:
# apt-get update

You can fin out more my reading the sources.list man page or the
apt-get howto:
# apt-get install apt-howto-en
then look at
/usr/share/doc/Debian/apt-howto/apt-howto.en.html

Cheers,

Nick.

Okay, so, I tried that and dselect's showing the information for the packages in the repository (thankyou! :) ). Unfortunately, the guy who put it together hasn't tested the repository and has written the Packages.gz badly. The addresses for all the files start with ./ , which apt-get can't interpret in an address (from the looks of the errors) and rightly so. I've confirmed this by looking at the file in Mozilla.

Is there any way of fixing this? The way I would do it if I knew that apt-get could do it would be to download the Packages.gz, remove all the ./ , save and point apt-get at the new package file. Is this possible without downloading all the packages from the repository and effectively building a new repository locally? Or is it possible to make a local Packages.gz point at the remote files by using the full address?

Thanks again :)