Re: Grub, latest adventure

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 07:52:47AM -0800, J Y wrote:
> Hi,
> This is my latest menu 1st. It doesn't work. Mostly I just boot whatever
> I want from floppy.
>  SuSE (the 1st entry titled "linux" does boot) Maybe windows does now
> too. I haven't checked that since
> my most recent editing. I did enter "grub" at a  terminal window, and
> when I typed "root (' the response was
> "selected disk does not exsist"  When I typed 'kernel /'  I got "invalid
> device requested". I also found I could produce
>  the same error (error 15: file system not found) which is what I get
> now at start up when I click debian or slack,
> by entering 'kernel /boot/vmlinuz and the correct path. I do not know
> what's wrong.
>
> gfxmenu (hd0,4)/message
> color white/blue black/light-gray
> default 0
> timeout 8
>
> title linux
>     kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7  hdd=ide-scsi vga=791
>     initrd (hd0,4)/initrd
>
> title floppy
>     root (fd0)
>     chainloader +1

This looks like you are telling the grub that the grub boot floppy
also includes the window bootloader.

> title failsafe
>     kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda7 ide=nodma apm=off
> acpi=off vga=normal nosmp maxcpus=0 disableapic 3
>     initrd (hd0,4)/initrd.shipped
>
> title windows
>     root  (hd0,0)
>     chainloader (hd0,0)+1
>     makeactive

If this doesn't boot windows, try:
root  (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainload +1

> title debian3.0
>     root (hd1,4)
>     kernel (hd1,4)/vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7 root=/dev/hdb5 hdd=ide-scsi vga=791
>     initrd (hd1,5)/initrd-2.4.18-k7
                     ^--------------^  should this be initrd.img-2.4.18-k7?

'initrd (hd1,5)' indicates your kernel image is in a different
partition than it's initrd.img.

Need a little more info. Please open a terminal, su to root, and then
run /sbin/grub.

grub> find /vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7
grub> find /initrd-2.4.18-k7
grub> find /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7