Re: mutt: how to forward envelope From?

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I've noticed when you forward a message in mutt, it strips off the
> very first header, the envelope From.  Is there a way to change this?

Hi,

I do not know for sure if I am pointing to the same header you mean ... but
let us see:

For example the original headers with the first From line that is missing
when forwarding:

	From Neue_WebBill@arcor.net  Fri Jul 11 06:01:46 2003
	Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:14:25 +0200 (MEST)
	From: Neue_WebBill@arcor.net (automatisch erzeugte E-Mail)

looks like this after forwarding:

	To: Bob Hoskins <bob@bome.de>
	Bcc:
	Subject: [Neue_WebBill@arcor.net: Ihre Rechnung Juni 2003 steht bereit.]
	----- Forwarded message from automatisch erzeugte E-Mail <Neue_WebBill@arcor.net> -----

	[...]

So the first line

	From Neue_WebBill@arcor.net  Fri Jul 11 06:01:46 2003

is missing. But this first line has got nothing to do with the original
email header. From the mutt manual you get:

[...]
  4.6.	Mailbox Formats

  Mutt supports reading and writing of four different mailbox formats:
  mbox, MMDF, MH and Maildir.  The mailbox type is autodetected, so
  there is no need to use a flag for different mailbox types.  When
  creating new mailboxes, Mutt uses the default specified with the
  ``$mbox_type'' variable.

  mbox.	 This is the most widely used mailbox format for UNIX.	All
  messages are stored in a single file.	 Each message has a line of the
  form:

       From me@cs.hmc.edu Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:44:56 PST

  to denote the start of a new message (this is often referred to as the
  ``From_'' line).
[...]

Oliver
--