Re: How to kill X?

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:49:23 -0400,
Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> wrote in message
<[🔎] 3F85E5F3.7060105@yahoo.es>:

> Pigeon wrote:
<attribution> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:49:26 +1300,
 <was> cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
 <lost> <[🔎] 200310090742.h997gHb4023813@dbmail-mx1.orcon.co.nz>:

> > > I think, with my capability for pushing the wrong button at
> > > critical moments, I might be safer to stick with ext2 then.
> >
> > Well, I admit that I found out about this the hard way. But I think
> > that was when I was running slink; the woody versions of the tools
> > all seem to spit out warnings if you try and treat ext3 as ext2.
> >
> > AIUI running fsck on ext2 will return the filesystem to a logically
> > consistent state but doesn't guarantee that you won't lose or
> > corrupt any files - as you've found out. ext3's journalling is a big
> > safeguard against this. It is unfortunate that power failures are
> > one area where this safeguard is noticeably incomplete.

..amen!  And those includes the wee ones, where the machines
keeps running, and gives the users _no_ useful warning.
In some cases, such as /var/log and var/spool, a panic is better than
data loss, for /usr, /etc, etc ;-) , running read-only is acceptable,
and
in some eerie cases, "errors=continue" is used.

> If you have and ext3 that you want to revert to ext2, you can just:
>
> tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdXX

..and then 'fsck -y  /dev/hdXX ; tune2fs -O has_journal /dev/hdXX ',
which _is_ the right thing to do, whenever the journal is wrong.

.._is_ this possible to do without reboots?

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: