Re: fsck hangs my machine unpredictably

Hi,

two ways come to my mind:

1) On a normal Debian system, the fsck check at boot time is skipped,
when the file /fastboot is present.  It gets deleted at each boot-up.
So, take down your broken hard drive, boot, run `touch /fastboot`, power
down, put your broken hard drive back in and boot.  Don't forget to run
`touch /fastboot` if you need to reboot, but still have the broken
drive.

2) `man fstab` says:

       The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to
       deter- mine the order in which filesystem checks are done at
       reboot time.  [...] If the sixth field is not present or zero, a
       value  of  zero is  returned  and fsck will assume that the
       filesystem does not need to be checked.

So, edit your /etc/fstab file and change the last field on all
filesystems on the bad drive to 0 (should be 2 right now).

HTH,
Viktor