Re: man dangling symlink question

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 at 20:30 GMT, David Z Maze penned:

"Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> writes:

I'd never heard of update-alternatives or /etc/alternatives until a
few days ago on this list, and to be honest I'm still a little (a
lot) foggy on what exactly it's used for.  For instance, I have
/etc/alternatives/vi and /etc/alternatives/editor ... what
applications will use these values?

nvi, vim, and elvis (all vi clones) will register alternatives for vi;
these, plus emacs, xemacs, nano, etc. will be alternatives for editor.

Yes, I understand that.  What I don't understand is, what uses these
registries?  Does the system set $EDITOR to /etc/alternatives/editor
under the cover?  Will typing "kedit" suddenly get me vim?  What apps
respect alternatives instead of, say, $EDITOR or $PAGER, and how do I
find this out?  Or is this just a convenience that I can choose to use
when setting up my own users?

(Also seems weird to me that a bunch of pointers to executables would be
stored in /etc, but maybe that's just me.)

I know that CVS uses the EDITOR (or /etc/alternatives/editor) pointer
to let the user make log entries.  So, if your "editor" is nano, when
you commit changes, nano pops up and you type in your log entry, then
when you exit it grabs the text and makes the log entry.  Same goes for
vim, emacs, whatever.

I don't think it at all strange that the pointers to executables are
in /etc.  After all, it is a configuration setting (default apps for
certain functions).

-Roberto