Re: How to secure access to WLAN?

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 03:34, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 01:16:34AM -0700, Tom wrote:
> > Can you recommend an ideal network setup?  I've given up on wireless
> > because I don't feel like building a DMZ at home.
>
> You suggested the only possible solution if you want wireless with
> something resembling security for your wired segments.

Actually, MAC filtering is a rather secure way to run a wireless setup.
It's a hell of a lot better than WEP at least. For a good chuckle at the
expense of WEP, apt-cache show airsnort. :)

Another alternative though I don't know how well (if at all) it's
supported under Linux, is WPA. Unfortunately, that system is only as
secure as your users make it. To borrow an old WW II slogan, "loose lips
sink ships".

MAC filtering should, theoretically at least, be the perfect protection.
Then again, wired NIC's are supposed to have hard coded MAC addresses,
and quite a few of them nowadays are at best coded in (modifiable)
firmware, and at worst dictated by user-land software. So that only
holds up for as long as wireless manufacturers don't slack off too much.
But what the previous responses said still holds true. Either put a
firewall between your AP and your network, OR, better yet, don't get in
the habit of leaving unsecured machines on the network, even if they are
in the DMZ. I try to give equal security consideration to all machines,
regardless of if they're currently "open for attacks". Because,
inevitably, at some point they WILL BE, and at that point you don't want
any easily exploitable security holes.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837