Re: Testing user-list

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 07:38:34AM -0800, J Y wrote:
| Hi, I don't seem to be getting messages from the users list. Sorry about
| adding to the traffic. I don't understand this list problem.

Check the logs on your mail system.  See what is happening when the
list server tries to deliver a message to you.

| My inbox has about 80 messages in it. (It can hold probably 500)

Number of messages is irrelevant.  If one message is 10 GB then it
would exceed your quota.  One of the MS Worms (the one with the
executable missing) is 12K per message due to images.   IIRC the
one(s) with the executable are around 100 or 200 KB.  So if you have
40 copies of the worm, that adds up.

| Why I am getting repeatedly dropped/bounced from the list-if indeed
| I have been this time-I just don't know.

The list server will automatically remove a subscribed address if the
address remains repeatedly or continually undeliverable.  This occurs
if :
    . your mail server is unreachable (network problems) for several
        days in a row
    . your mail server rejects a disproportionately high number of
        messages
        For example:
            You have spamassassin or similar running such that the MTA
                (eg exim4 or a recent postfix snapshot) rejects
                messages during transit _and_ a high number of
                messages you consider spam come through the list in a
                short amount of time.
            The address is no longer operational (eg discontinued
                service)
    . your mail server returns a disproportionately high number of
        bounces to the list server

There are only two ways for you to determine the problem (well, apart
from speculating and playing the lottery ;-))

The first is to examine your mail system.  Read the logs.  Find out
if you have quota problems or a misconfiguration somewhere or if your
anti-spam filters are causing you to just plain lose mail from the
list or (more likely, I suppose) cause the list server to think your
address is invalid.

The second is to ensure that your address can actually receive mail
(this basically means to go through the first procedure and correct
any problems you identify).  The list server will attempt to send you
a warning/notice before/just after you are removed from the list.
This is a last-ditch effort to try and inform you of the problem
situation and a final test of your address.

-D

--
Better a little with righteousness
than much gain with injustice.