kernel 2.4.22 documentation

I have had a heck of a time with kernel 2.4.22, at one time I created an image with kernel-package that worked wonderfully for my system, then I decided to change the atapi to scsi to enable cd writing. This cost me loosing sound, and screwed my system to a point that only last night after one week I was able to get back to where I was (except sound, I havn'e had sound any more, audigy ls).
So, I want to read the whole doc for the kernel modules before I even try to touch the keyboard, unless someone has some kernel image somewhere ready available for download.
Seemingly my system is to difficult. It is a hewlet packard pavilion 250y (customized) with
1. Sound Blaster Audigy LS (a real pain),
2. Radeon 9800 (which using the fglrx drivers from ati.com causes no trouble),
3. A 6 in one reader (memory stick, smart media, mmc/sd, compact flash I/II), 2 usb 2.0, firewire in the front, and
4. 4 usb ports and another firewire in the back
5. dvd/cd writer combo, another dvd reader.

Hell of a machine. BUT I want to be able to use it with Debian!, not with windows only.
So, can anyone point in the right direction with the modules for this kernel version? Things that have always worked for me before when making the kernel image (true, with simpler systems) don't work here.  The kernel just goes into panic.
There was a poster here from HP, hey, have you guys done any experiments yet with this system?
By the way, I didn't buy the linux ready systems that HP has because they are more expensive than similar windows ones.