Struggling with User-Mode-Linux

I am trying to set up a user-mode-linux on my "sarge" server, so that I can
run an unstable build environment.  I am struggling a bit with this

I installed the kernel-patch-uml and the uml-utilities as will as
user-mode-linux.

However, I cannot seem to create the tap device on the host.  Do I need to
reboot my server for the patches to the kernel to take effect?  Indeed, does
the patches apply to the binary version of the kernel or am I supposed to
rebuild from the source or something?
--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk