Re: Installing a kernel off CD-ROM

Hello

cr (<cr@orcon.net.nz>) wrote:

> Is there any way to install a kernel on the hard drive off the install
> CD-ROMs   (without going through the whole Install process)?
>
> Currently, I have the 2.4.18-k6  kernel installed on my hard drive,
> but it doesn't seem to have ppp enabled   (dmesg brings up no mention
> of ppp). I'm a little surprised, I would've thought a kernel I
> downloaded as a .deb off debian.org would have ppp enabled, but
> still...
> (did I do something wrong during the install, I wonder?)

Check if the ppp support is built as modules. On my system (self
compiled kernel with ppp support as modules), the following modules are
loaded:

sirius:/home/andreas# lsmod | grep ppp
ppp_deflate             3008   1  (autoclean)
zlib_inflate           18592   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
zlib_deflate           17984   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
ppp_async               6624   1  (autoclean)
ppp_generic            17164   3  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp
ppp_async]
slhc                    4704   1  (autoclean) [ppp_generic]

A quick search on <http://packages.debian.org> shows that your kernel
package has the ppp_async.o module (I didn't check for the other ones).

Try this to find out:

cat /boot/config-2.4.18-k6 | grep PPP

On my system, these drivers are loaded automatically. There is a file
/etc/modutils/ppp with the following lines:

alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

Please check your /etc/modutils/ppp file and your /etc/modules.conf to
make sure it also has these lines (if not, try to run update-modules).

> If I want to reach the Internet I currently have to boot the
> 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel off the world's slowest floppy boot disk   ;)
>
> [...]
>
> Anyway, back to the CD-ROM, is there any way to use the kernel images
> on that to just put a   vmlinuz-xxx   in  /boot    that I can call
> with Grub, without going through the Install process again   (because
> last time I did that, I broke things  :(
>
> Or do I need to do another 5MB download of a .deb from  debian.org?

First, you can use apt-get to install the package for the 2.4bf version.
It is located on the fifth CD. Second, I wouldn't use it because the
kernel images from the Woody r0 and r1 CDs have several security
issues, so I would use an updated version from security.debian.org.
Please note that the bf24 package still has the same name, the other
updated 2.4 packages however have slightly different names. So if you
want to update your current kernel package, you have to install
kernel-image-2.4.18-1-k6.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--