freedom of debian

Greetings again and thanks for the replies dealing
with lilo and grub (sounds like a bad movie doesn't
it?). I hope that I'm not being too general with this
next question...

Using Debian, is it fair to say that one has more
freedom regarding the software
installed...specifically, I mean that my experience
with GNU/Linux thus far has been that if you want to
install an upgraded version of something...say mozilla
for example, or KDE, that you have to overcome the
older packages...I've been using an rpm distro if that
clarifies a bit. Anyway, I want to be able to put what
I want on my computer without having to go through a
song and a dance so to speak just to get it. Perhaps
I'm just lazy. You all have been great and this list
is really informative. Thanks for your help. You are
greatly appreciated.

Jason Housewright