Re: Statically linked bash

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 06:41:53AM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:
> I'd like to have bash that runs by itself; is there any such shell
> somewhere in the Internet that I can download?

There's a bash-static package in testing and unstable.

Beware, though, that bash uses NSS (name service switch) functions for
password and group lookup etc., and statically linked programs that use
NSS are not as static as you think, because they need to dynamically
load libraries whose interface sometimes changes. Normally libc deals
with those changes, but when it's statically linked this isn't possible.

You may still find, then, that you need to relink your "static" bash
from time to time. See Debian bug #205185 for an example. It might be
better to use a truly static shell like sash that doesn't use NSS.

Cheers,