kernel messages to virtual console instead of to log file/etc.

Although I have /etc/syslog.conf set up to send most messages elsewhere,
I still get messages like:

  EXT2-fs: Unrecognized mount option bs

and

  EXT2-fs: blocksize too small for device.

dumped directly to the current virtual console (when I'm in a text
console).

(This is on woody with kernel 2.4.18.)

How do I find out which syslog facility code or severity level those
messages use (to check my /etc/syslog.conf)?

Or are those messages reported wrong in the kernal (so they can't be
controlled by the syslog configuration)?

My only syslog.conf entries that don't write to log files are:

*.emerg                         *

daemon,mail.*;\
        news.=crit;news.=err;news.=notice;\
        *.=debug;*.=info;\