Re: Configuration file and auxiliary packages

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 00:20, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> A less easily solved problem has to do with auxiliary files.  We are heavy
> TeX users, and consequently have various TeX gadgets that are not packaged
> by Debian.  OK, so we have our own tex-utm package containing these
> things.  What do you do, though, if you want to actually replace a
> file from, say, the tetex package with one you've customized yourself?
> The package system breaks down at this point, since the local and debian
> packages will conflict.  There are ways to get around this (forced
> installs, etc.) but these complicate package installation considerably.

There is a tool to handle this problem: dpkg-divert (which is part of
the dpkg package).  Check its manpage to see if it will do what you
want.

     "Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be
      ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf."
                                        I Peter 4:16