Re: Apt-get removing perl libraries

On Monday 29 September 2003 05:57 pm, Victor Cain wrote:
> I'm running Debian SID and normally update packages daily.  The last update
> removed ten perl libraries and about 90 other packages dependent on them.
>
> I have two questions: Is there any thing I can do to fix this, or is it
> something that I just have to wait for?  Second, if this is a know problem,
> how could I have found that out without asking on this mailing list?  TIA.

1) I think this should have been fixed by yesterday's update (it was for me,
anyway).

2) You must have done apt-get dist-upgrade to have apt-get remove packages,
right?  My recommendation is to always do:

apt-get -u dist-upgrade

This will show any new packages that will be installed, and any current
packages that will be removed, as well as which packages will be updated.  It
will then give you an opportunity to cancel the upgrade (which is what I did
so as to not uninstall lots of packages in this case).

> Here's what happens when I try to re-install those libraries (Note that I
> have perl 5.8.1-1 installed):
> -> apt-get install libfinance-quote-perl libhtml-format-perl
> libhtml-tree-perl libnet-perl libnet-ph-perl libwww-perl libxml-grove-perl
> libxml-parser-perl libxml-perl libxml-twig-perl
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   libfinance-quote-perl: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16) but it is not going to
> be installed
>                          Depends: libhtml-tableextract-perl but it is not
> going to be installed
>   libhtml-format-perl: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16) but it is not going to
> be installed
>   libhtml-tree-perl: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16) but it is not going to be
> installed
>                      Depends: libhtml-parser-perl but it is not going to be
> installed
>                      Depends: libhtml-tagset-perl (>= 3.02) but it is not
> going to be installed
>   libnet-perl: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16) but it is not going to be
> installed libnet-ph-perl: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16) but it is not going
> to be installed
>   libwww-perl: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16) but it is not going to be
> installed Depends: libdigest-md5-perl
>                Depends: libmime-base64-perl (>= 2.1) or
>                         perl (>= 5.8) but it is not going to be installed
>                Depends: liburi-perl (>= 1.10) but it is not going to be
> installed
>                Depends: libhtml-parser-perl (>= 2.20) but it is not going
> to be installed
>   libxml-grove-perl: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16) but it is not going to be
> installed
>   libxml-parser-perl: Depends: perl (>= 5.8.0-19) but it is not going to be
> installed
>                       Depends: liburi-perl but it is not going to be
> installed libxml-perl: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16) but it is not going to
> be installed libxml-twig-perl: Depends: perl (>= 5.8.0-21) but it is not
> going to be installed
> E: Broken packages

If I remember correctly from my investigating, a perl-modules package had a
versioned conflicts against libnet-perl << 5.8.1, which caused libnet-perl to
be uninstalled.  That in turn forced all of the other packages to be removed.
libnet-perl 5.8.1 came into the repositories the next day, which fixed
everything for me.

> Any help appreciated.
>
> --
> Victor R. Cain