Re: vim: available colors?

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:10:00AM +0000, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> How do I know which color names are available for a given colordepth?  I
> assume that using 'set t_Co=16' is going to give me fewer color options
> than if I set that to, say, 256 (and would any terminals support 256?).

Terminals support 16 colors (well, eight plus intensity).  If you want to
change them, change what the *term thinks the colors represent.  So, *you*
still call it 'Red', but you get the neat pastel thing you want instead of
the bright thing you can't read (just as an example).

In xterm, this is easily done with a couple of resource settings.

For gvim, of course, you can use any hex triplet as a color.

In the console, I think you're stuck. :(

--
 Marc Wilson |     The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.  --
 msw@cox.net |     Muriel Rukeyser