Re: fetchmail and mailfilter

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 02:24:04PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Jan Ulrich Hasecke(janulrich.hasecke@t-online.de) is reported to have said:
> > Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net> writes:
> >
> > > preconnect "mailfilter"
> >
> > Mh, my fetchmail hangs when I set this option:
> >
> > preconnect '/usr/bin/mailfilter -M /home/juh/.mailfilterrc'
>  man mailfilter
>
> default  Mailfilter tries to read $HOME/.mailfilterrc

I also don't seem to be getting any response from mailfilter.

Who does the preconnect command run as?

My first assumption is that it runs as fetchmail, in which case $HOME
is /var/run/fetchmail on my default Debian setup, if I read my passwd
file right.  Trying to read and write to my personal account would
likely only cause trouble.

My second thought was that it runs as the local user you have
indicated in your fetchmail config file.  .fetchmailrc man page says
nothing explicit, but since all the examples just say mailfilter, I
figured maybe this would work.

Anyway, I have .mailfilterrc in my home directory, the one of the user
indicated in fetchmailrc.  I did /etc/init.d/fetchmail restart, but I
see no sign of mailfilter; there is no mention of it in any log I've
checked, and no sign of the output mailfilterlog file either.

I've done two things that might matter:

fetchmailrc says
        preconnect fetchmail
not
	preconnect "fetchmail"
as in most examples.

And .mailfilterrc uses ~/ notation
LOGFILE=~/Mail/mailfilterlog

But shouldn't I at least get an error message?