Getting X to recognise usb mouse on plugin

I have a usb mous which isn't always plugged in (its a loptop).
It its plugged in when X starts up it is recognised ok (there is a
pointer entry for /dev/input/mice). If its not plugged in its not always
recognized. I haven't managed to pinpoint the reason. I do make
occational changes to the driver setup when I change things. What should
I do to make it recognized by a running X session? Is it the mousedev
module?
usb is configured as a modules on my system.
--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il