Kernel problem using Dell Laptop

Hi

I experience some problems installing Linux on an Dell Inspiron 5150.
I used the cd image from http://people.debian.org/~blade/XFS-Install/ to get
XFS support. This image uses an altered 2.4.20-bf24 kernel. With it
everithing works fine. But my laptop has an /*%&(ç("/%ç&*(//& Broadcom 4400
eth adapter buitin wich is supportet from kernel version >= 2.4.22. So i took
the kernel config from the kernel from the XFS image and built a 2.4.22
kernel with the kernelpackage. The only thing i changed was to build the
bcm4400 driver as a module. i installed the debs (via CD) on my laptop.

After restart i get the following message (without a kernel panic) and the
kernel stops:
cpu: 0, clocks 0, slice 0

i have no idea what this means since the cpu setting is set to 486...

BTW: i have tried to compile a module version of the bcm4400 driver for the
2.4.20-bf24-xfs kernel but when i send data to the netowork i get a kernel
panic.

cheer,
Raffaele
--