Re: Debian release schedule

> What is a "non-official apt repository"?  If it's "non-official", then
> how could it be in "stable"?
>
> How does "non-official" differ from "official"?

I'm not an expert but this is my view:

A non-official apt repository is a internet site which have packages that for
one or other reason are not in debian main servers (official repositories).

Why aren't they in the official repositories?
Debian have certain requirements which a package must meet in order to be
accepted, and become official.
Besides, there is one debian developer responsible for each package, if you
are not happy with the way he do the work you can do your own debian package,
but, no matter how good your package were, it would still be unofficial. (I
think that there is a democratic way in debian to elect package maintainers,
but I'm not qualified to talk about that).

> How does "stable" differ from "not stable"?

The debian distribution has 3 flavors: stable, testing and unstable.
(You can read about this in the debian site I think). I'll only say that
unstable is generally up to date, so probably the gnome you want is already
there.

Practice have proved that in order to have a nice and updated desktop in
debian stable you have to use unofficial apt repositories. Don't worry, they
are quite good and usually they will install without problems.

You can also upgrade the system to the testing flavor, and after that to
unstable if you like, but this process require that you are familiar with apt
and dpkg.

Other approach many people use to get a nice desktop with debian very quickly
is to install knoppix to hard drive in which case you would be using
testing/unstable flavors. This way they can install every soft they need from
debian official testing/unstable repositories.

Alfredo