Re: Am I ready for the internet?

* Michael C. (mcsuper5@usol.com) [030919 10:30]:
> In linux.debian.user, Jimmy Johansson <jimmy@update.uu.se> wrote:
>
> >  I have set up Iptables so that I reject
> >  all incomming traffic, except the traffic I have requested, because I
> >  don't need incomming SSH or anything like that.
>
> While I believe it breaks something, if you're not serving the internet,
> I'd drop incoming traffic as opposed to rejecting it, that way you are
> stealth.

I'd recommend just the opposite, since as you said, it breaks
"something", and if you believe you are "stealth", you're only fooling
yourself.

IMO, it's not worth it.  My favorite firewall configs reject TCP with
RST, UDP with icmp-port-unreach, and other protocols with
icmp-proto-unreach.

I think it's easier to make your firewall invisible than it is to make
your host invisible.  You can't disappear; the best you can do is become
uninteresting (no open ports).

good times,
Vineet
--