Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)

On Thursday 18 September 2003 10:09, Pigeon wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:12:02AM +1200, cr wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > But neither Win95 nor Win98 would install on Partition 2.    They both
> > siezed shortly after the 'License Agreement' stage, and on rebooting
> > displayed a message about disabling the virus checker  (*what* virus
> > checker?)
>
> In the BIOS?

Oh, right.    I think I'll just declare myself a Clue Free Zone.   :(
I was misled by the reference in the error message to cancelling any virus
checkers in Config.sys or Autoexec.bat, I completely missed its mention of
the BIOS.....

of course, after DOS   FORMAT's bizarre behaviour in the vicinity of a
non-DOS extended partition, I guess I was expecting M$'s error messages to
mean almost anything other than what they actually said     ;)

> Or does "*what* virus checker" imply that you've already turned this
> off?

No, it just means I have installed no virus checkers.   Other than the one in
the BIOS which I'd completely forgotten.

OK, turned it off, now everything installs just fine.
D'you suppose I can plead advancing senility?   ;)

Next step, see if I can boot the whole thing with GRUB....

cr