New Kernel Breaks... dhclient?

Hello, Debian community. I'm definately not a Linux expert, especially where laptops are concerned. Please help!

Here's my problem: I compiled a new kernel (going from 2.4.18 to 2.4.22), and now I can't get an IP from the corporate network. I'm using a PCMCIA card, but that much seems to be okay... "cardctl ident" tells me that I have a 3Com network card, and "ifconfig" tells me that eth0 is up and receiving packets... not transmitting, but receiving. The problem is, I don't have an IP address.

I run dhclient, which runs for a bit, then exits (or goes to the background, I suppose). It even writes to /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases, including a line saying "fixed-address 10.101.116.31", which is the IP I've always gotten. But still, "ifconfig eth0" reveals that I do not have an IP address. Furthermore...

ifconfig eth0 10.101.116.31
ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 10.101.116.1

After entering these three commands (the values were all obtained from /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases), "the Internet turns on". So, it seems as though the only problem is that dhclient can't configure the interface automatically... any idea why (especially given that it can with a different kernel)?

Oh, one more thing: if I type "ifdown eth0", I see the following error message:

"cat: /var/run/dhclient.pid: No such file or directory".

This occurs whether I've run dhclient manually or not.

Somebody please help me... I really don't understand what's happening!

Jon
--
Jonathan Anderson                                             joanderson@rim.net
Protocol Tester                                              (519)888-7465 x2536