Re: XFree86

TongKe Xue <qckcode@yahoo.com> writes:

>   I did a search for "XFree86" in the packages section, and one of
> the responses I got was:
>
> experimental  xfree86-common 4.3.0-0pre1v1   (583.7k)
>
>   I'm curious about
>   (1) What is experimental? Even more unstable than unstable?
>   (2) What's been holding xfree86-common 4.3.0 from unstable? (I
> thought the process was fairly simple to get into unstable)
>   (3) How can I get files from experimental? (I had thought there was
> only stable, testing, unstable)

Individual package maintainers can decide that they want to upload
packages to experimental, if in their opinion the package isn't
suitably polished for even users of unstable to use.  There's also
been a little more of a push recently to put packages that aren't
necessarily destined for sarge in their current form into
experimental.

You'd need to add an explicit line to your APT sources.list file to
use experimental, and then you'd need to explicitly request the
experimental packages (APT will never pick an experimental package by
default).  Figuring out how to do this is left as an exercise for the
reader.

	-- Abra Mitchell