Re: /etc/aliases

on Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 10:14:18AM -0700, Bill Moseley (moseley@hank.org) wrote:
> Ok, so I'm now getting spam sent to (and forged from) usernames listed
> in my /etc/aliases file.
>
> Things like "postmaster" I'll need to keep, but I'm wondering what would
> break if I change things to:
>
>   bin: :fail: Unknown User
>

> Here's my list of aliases.  Do any processes/applications send to these
> addresses?

In general, they may.

In general, the solution is:

  - Alias system addresses to root.
  - Alias root to the user responsible for the system, or a site-wide
    administrative address.
  - Alias your sitewide administrative alias to a person who *reads* and
    *has the authority to act on* the mail.  And does.

Alternatively, some functions may be pointed at different groups:  mail,
news, system support, webmaster, DBA, etc.  In this case, you may have
local system aliases pointing at these users, rather than strictly
root, but the principle is the same.

> daemon: root
> bin: :root

<...>