Re: ..chroot-installs onto RAID-1 disks ,was: Evolving Debian from Red Hat

on Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 04:38:50PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen (arnt@c2i.net) wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 03:40:40 +0100,
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> <[🔎] 20030914024040.GA18694@guildenstern.dyndns.org>:

> > As I frequently say, the advantage of a chroot install is that it
> > allows you to tackle one problem rather than two.  So while I haven't
> > tackled your specific problem, I think you'll find it's not a
> > show-stopper.
>
> ..well, in my case, comparing it to the 15 minute RH installs,
> this is too damn close, I am missing some basic clue whack.

For those times when the install doesn't work, for whatever reason, a
chroot is damned useful.  E.g.:  old HW, little space, no network, no
CDROM....

So while I'd recommend a standard installation as first approach, a
chroot install is a very handy trick to have up one's sleeve.

Peace.

    Defeat EU Software Patents!                         http://swpat.ffii.org/