Re: Bouncing emails via procmail

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 06:57:16PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I'm running Debian Testing, exim and procmail. Probably half my email is
> spam, which procmail dutifully diverts into a spam folder. But I'm
> wondering if it would be possible to get procmail to actually "bounce"
> email back to senders when it's designated as spam. I know MTAs can do
> this, but I imagine it's a complicated process, since headers have to be
> examined, envelopes rewritten, etc. Also, to prevent loops, I'd have to
> add a header like X-Loop to the email and examine it on inbound emails.
>
> Anyone know how to make procmail do this? Or is it a bad idea? Or what?

It is a bad idea.

Most spam has a spoofed From header, so your bounce doesn't go back to
the spammer. It goes off to some poor unfortunate who has nothing to
do with it. Therefore, you end up unwittingly becoming a spammer
yourself.

The best thing to do is to sign up with spamcop and report your spam
through them. An alternative, though much more difficult, is to track
down the geographical location of the originator and go and set off
some EMP weapons.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons