Re: Do all debian kernel packages require an initrd?

Hello

Neal Lippman (<nl@lippman.org>) wrote:

> Tonight, I tried to apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.21-4-k7 (AMD
> Athlon system). During the installation phase, I was given a warning
> that this image requires an initial ramdisk - which I am not using, as
> far as I am aware, with the stock 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel that originally
> came with woody (now sarge).
>
> Are all debian kernel packages created with initrd? If so, is justing
> proceeding with the install sufficient, or is there some special way
> to modify my menu.lst for grub to handle this (the install gives
> instructions for lilo, but I don't use lilo).

I don't know about the 2.2 Kernels, but I think all of the 2.4 Kernels
except the boot floppy image use an initrd. Here is a example grub
configuration, found through google:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
 root (hd0,3)
 kernel/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=Label=hda=ide-scsi
 initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img
 title Windows XP
 rootnoverify (hd0,0)
 chainloader +1