Re: Do all debian kernel packages require an initrd?

The Debian kernel images are compiled to use initrd.  Your new kernel will not
work unless you have installed the appropriate packages.  From memory I think
apt-get initrd-tools will do the trick, but don't hold me to this.

If you really don't want to use initrd you will so far as I know need to
compile your own kernel.  make-kpkg makes this very easy.

Sorry I can't help you with grub, which I last used on an old Mandrake
distribution ages ago.

regards,

Darryl